Re: [NTLK] "There was a problem with the selected item's viewer"

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 01:22:18 EST

on 28/02/02 00:17, Dave Caolo at dcaolo_at_gis.net wrote:

> This is the error message I get when I try to open an email message to read
> it. Don't know what to do. I'm using a 2100/Simple Mail. Thanks, folks.

Do you know what kind of message you're trying to view? ASCII only? HTML? As
I understand it, SimpleMail comes with various different packages so that
you can install only what you're using. It seems that the package that would
let you see that message is somehow missing, or corrupter, or the message
you're trying to see is in an unsupported format, although I've never heard
of that. Are you using the latest version of SimpleMail?

-Laurent.

elephantine adj.: Used of programs or systems that are both conspicuous hogs (owing perhaps to poor design founded on brute force and ignorance) and exceedingly hairy in source form. An elephantine program may be functional and even friendly, but (as in the old joke about being in bed with an elephant) it's tough to have around all the same (and, like a pachyderm, difficult to maintain). In extreme cases, hackers have been known to make trumpeting sounds or perform expressive proboscatory mime at the mention of the offending program. Usage: semi-humorous. Compare `has the elephant nature' and the somewhat more pejorative monstrosity. See also second-system effect and baroque.