Re: [NTLK] 4th Anniversary

From: Jim Hill (jimhill_at_swcp.com)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 19:39:21 EST

Once upon a time, speedy2 dressed so fine,
Threw the bums a dime, admired my ripped-off rhyme, and sent email:

> On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Jim Hill wrote:
>

> > I'm as big a fan of the Newton as one can be with just having had one
> > for a couple of months but it's nowhere near the iPod as a music player.
>
> Aside from lack of storage and the ability to play higher bitrates, is
> there a reason why the Newton does not suffice?

Well, the two you gave are sufficient by themselves, but let's also
include:

Mono.
No headphone jack.
Size.
Weight.
User interface.

This isn't a knock on the Newton, for those who can feel your knees
beginning to twitch. It's an oustanding machine for what it was
designed to do -- but it was not designed to be a superportable music
machine and its MP3 abilities are such that we should be impressed that
the pig can sing rather than complaining about his choice of tune. The
iPod, on the other hand, does exactly what it was designed to do and
does it better than anything else I've seen. It's a cold-dead-hands
item.

Jim

--
                         jimhill_at_swcp.com
        Visit www.marrow.org -- because there is no substitute.

"You ever love someone so much you thought your little heart was gonna break in two? I didn't think so." -- Chris Isaak