Re: [NTLK] The Best Way to create a database for linguistics?

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 17:26:45 EST

If you look at my books and see how I created server
codes, you will see that I kinda have what it is you
are trying to do. It's just a matter of creating an
indexes to point to where you want it to go! I am
working an a similar book on my MP3s. The beginning of
the book will be a list of albums, tap on the album
and it will take you to a page that has a list of
songs. I did (am doing) this all in Paperback 1.1.
Ed
web/gadget guruu
http://65.84.243.167 (my NPDS server)
my books: http://newton.tek-ed.com/books

--- Oliver Brose <oliver.brose_at_t-online.de> wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I have a dream, and that dream includes me beeing
> able to learn stupid
> boring facts with fun and ease. I hate stupid boring
> facts if they are
> supposed to be just stupid boring facts and I am not
> allowed to play with
> them.
>
> Within my studies I encounter linguistics.
>
> Lots of definitions, not much play on the
> entry-level.
>
> I would like to compile the information from my
> papers & notes into an easy
> database for the Newt, so I do not have to search in
> a book or through all
> of the Newt's notes.
>
> What would be the best way to do this?
>
> As I have no usable programming skills (Thank you,
> school. I always knew
> that TurboPascal would not get me anywhere), I
> thought of creating a big fat
> list(tm) on the Mac, make it a NewtonBook, and
> search it via the internal
> searching solution. I have done this with the
> Academic Word List, and it
> works fairly well.
> Very blunt, but easy to do. On the downside is that
> there would not be any
> links (AFAIK), and I would clearly prefer something
> that is as elegant as
> Lextionary.
> Lextionary itself also contains some linguistic
> vocabulary, but not
> everything I need, and I am also after the learning
> process of going over
> all the stuff again.
>
> Is there a free, easy to use database application
> that will allow linking?
>
> What I basically need it to display is:
> Word -> definition & example (and I would like to
> link from the def. part to
> related words), just like Lextionary.
>

> Any hints?
>
> Oliver :)