Re: [NTLK] Newton and encodings.

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 14:06:48 EST

On 26/02/02 12:01, "Apostolos Koutropoulos" <AdmiralAK_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> OK, big big question.
> I have been using NewtonPress to do most of my books. Moving slowly away
> from latin based languages (or "simple" latin based languugages) I was
> wondering what kinds of encodings are available for the newton? I would
> really like to be able to write (or tap on an on screen keyboard) in greek,
> and several other languages.
>
> Anyone have any idea ? I wanted to write a few greek things up, as well as
> some references to Russian, vietnamese and polish grammars.

I don't know the specifics, but I can attest that I've seen chinese (or was
it japanese?) and, more recently, russian on a Newton (wink wink, Paul F.!).
Sean Luke could probably give you a headup about that.

-Laurent.

fandango on core n.: [Unix/C hackers, from the Iberian dance] In C, a wild
pointer that runs out of bounds, causing a core dump, or corrupts the
malloc(3) arena in such a way as to cause mysterious failures later on, is
sometimes said to have `done a fandango on core'. On low-end personal
machines without an MMU (or Windows boxes, which have an MMU but use it
incompetently), this can corrupt the OS itself, causing massive lossage.
Other frenetic dances such as the cha-cha or the watusi, may be substituted.
See aliasing bug, precedence lossage, smash the stack, memory leak, memory
smash, overrun screw, core.