Re: [NTLK] Avantgo (was: Lotus Notes (warning - long))

From: Jim Anderson (jiman_at_microsoft.com)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 13:33:14 EST

Raj wrote:
> Yeah I do apprectiate the full power of a browser but what
> gets me is that Avantgo is so darn fast on such ancient=20
> hardware (compared to the ARM). Granted it deals with a small=20
> subset of html but its the important part (eg the info not the style).

        I've used AvantGo back in the dark days before I saw the (green)
light, and speed is really what it has going for it. The problem with
using NewtsCape to read "lite" news sites is it's speed in rendering new
pages. Most news sites are organized with an overview page which links
to more detailed pages for each story or section. This forces you to
either be satisfied with only the overview, or go through a bunch of
reload-render cycles.
        IMHO, there are two solutions for speeding this sort of thing
up. The first would be a browser (or NewtsCape plug-in?) that renders
just a limited subset of HTML, but does so very fast. The second
(Steve?) would be the ability to schedule a web site download with book
creation to a given link depth. Especially if you could predefine the
ISBN and title of the book for each site you download. This would really
be a hat trick. Since NewtsCape can readily create books, and books
open/navigate quickly, you would end up with (say) a book of the NY
Times "lite" site with the overview first, and each detail page
following, with the links between the overview and details pages intact.
I've played around with this a little with scripts that mirror a web
site to a given depth, and then attempt to catenate them into a single
file, but it would be better (read: more platform independent) if this
could happen on the Newt side.

Jim Anderson

Evil Overlord Rule 197:
I will explain to my Legions of Terror that guns are ranged weapons and
swords are not. Anyone who attempts to throw a sword at the hero or club
him with a gun will be summarily executed.