Re: [NTLK] Lotus Notes (warning - long)

From: Raj Patel (rpatel_at_accelrys.com)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 05:31:40 EST

Hi

>Don't get a palm! Seriously! I've got an m500. Rubbish.

Yeah I know they are. Still they are good at a few things
and they do them very very well in a compact form factor.

I think the killer palm app has to be avantgo (I know you
can get it for PocketPC too) which I'd kill for on the
Newt (so quick on a palm with so little horsepower).

Any chance Newtscape could be cut down to offer Avantgo
style functional minimalism (presumably the Avantgo channel
spec is public) ?

>A Compaq IPaq is pretty cool. A colleague has one. If I couldn't have a
>Newton then I'd have one of those instead. Handwriting recognition is on par
>with the Newton. Grafitti on a Palm is a nightmare!

Yeah this drove me insane! Still with idiot proof synch
on the Palm its not that bad. I guess the argument is similar
to the old PSION one.... if you primarily need lookup info and
don't mind being glued to a PC for synch then go with a Palm;
if you need to actually get functionality out of your device
and do content creation then go with a Newton or PSION (or larger
PocketPC).

>The biggest problem with the palm is that you have to exit one app to go to
>the home screen to find the other app and then launch it. Too many taps
>required to switch between tasks. If they had a launch bar on screen all the
>time then the problem would be solved. Although then you'd only be able to
>fit about 2 lines of text in the screen.

Ditto. Then again my old PSION 3a handles multiple apps better than
a Newt or Palm. Time to start dreaming of the ultimate PDA that would
combine the best of all worlds....

Raj.