Re: [NTLK] Lotus Notes (warning - long)

From: Smith, Bradley (bradley.smith_at_artisansw.com)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 05:18:46 EST

Don't get a palm! Seriously! I've got an m500. Rubbish.
A Compaq IPaq is pretty cool. A colleague has one. If I couldn't have a
Newton then I'd have one of those instead. Handwriting recognition is on par
with the Newton. Grafitti on a Palm is a nightmare! Also, as an example of
how bad the OS is, if I want to paste some text from the memo pad into
another application and then realise that I need to copy an email address
from the same note as well this is what you have to do:-

1. Mark the Text
2. Select copy from the edit menu (don't try and use the grafitti shortcut,
you'll get it wrong)
3. Tap the home Icon
4. Find the other application
5. Run it
6. Tap where you want the text to go
7. Choose paste from the edit menu
8. Tap the home button
9. Find and choose the memo application
10. Highlight the email address
11. edit -> copy
12. Tap home
13. Open other app
14. tap where you want email address
15. edit -> paste

Nightmare!

On a Newt (with the multi-clipboard hack installed):

1. Highlight text
2. copy/drag to side of screen
3. Highlight email
4. copy/drag again
5. Open other app
6. drag both clippings to where you want them

An iPaq is about as good too.

The biggest problem with the palm is that you have to exit one app to go to
the home screen to find the other app and then launch it. Too many taps
required to switch between tasks. If they had a launch bar on screen all the
time then the problem would be solved. Although then you'd only be able to
fit about 2 lines of text in the screen.

Brad

> OK cool. I'll give this a go and see what happens. It'd be amazing
> if this works as otherwise Palm-do(o)m awaits.

<snip>