Re: [NTLK] Ethernet card / IrDA question

From: Daniel Padilla (daniel.padilla_at_wanadoo.es)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 08:17:17 EST

> 2. I consulted the Newton Infrared FAQ, but didn't find an answer to
> my pressing question - what exactly is wrong with the Newton
> implementation of IrDA that makes communication with certain cell phones
> (such as Nokia 6210) impossible? Is it a hardware limitation, or merely a
> software misimplemantation?

    The problem is that it's not finished. If the IrCOMM protocol, the one that
cellular phones use, is built with 5 layers, the newton only implements 3 of
them. The layers needed for printing via IrDA.

    That's why the newton even gets to indentify itself with a computer, but
fails to go further.

From teh Newton Programmers Guide, 2.2 Addendum:

Here is a quick list of the IrDA protocol levels mentioned in this chapter. If
you need more definitions and protocol details, you can get them from the
IrDA world-wide web site (http://www.irda.org).

SIR (Serial IR), hardware protocol for 9600 to 115.2 Kbps data transmission.

FIR (Fast serial IR), hardware protocol for 115.2 Kbps to 4 Mbps data
transmission.

IrLAP (Link Access Protocol). Built on top of SIR and/or FIR.

IrLMP (Link Management Protocol)-Multiplexor, Name Server, Endpoints. Built on
IrLMP.

TinyTP (Transport), built on IrLMP.

IrComm 3-wire/9-wire serial/parallel-like interface. Built on TinyTP.

The only pieces that are supported in this implementation of the Newton
IrDA tool are: SIR, IrLAP and IrLMP. This is the minimum required set to be
IrDA compliant.

Daniel Padilla