Re: [NTLK] An (expensive) way to be flexible (not mobile) with 802.11b and Newton 2X00

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_mac.com)
Date: Sat Feb 23 2002 - 03:18:24 EST

on 21-02-2002 2:50, Warren Stone at warren_at_ttr225.com wrote:

> I wanted to let everyone know that this option exists, provided you are
> too concerned with the cost. Lucent (Agere) makes an 802.11b Ethernet
> converter. The converter is about $190 without the 802.11b card which is
> another $100.

You could say that, that makes $ 290 total, and not as fast as Airport for
which I paid just $ 100
But is this the best option for PC users ?

> For Mac users the AppleTalk support is all but useless because of the slow
> speed but for a Newton sync and email it is acceptable.

Seems unnecessary seen the cost comparison I just made above, but just to
get a better understanding, they support AppleTalk but you don't get the
full Ethernet speed, right ?

Robert Benschop