Re: [NTLK] NCU backup -1 errors - known fix?

From: Mike O'Brien (obrien_at_leonardo.net)
Date: Sat Feb 23 2002 - 01:42:37 EST

Jeremy Bond Shepherd sez:
> * avoid using Standalone's BigNotes and SuperNotePad.
>
> I think the last one is the one that's killing me. Anytime I try to do a
> backup NCU (either Mac or PC version) throws a -1 during the Notes access.
> Same thing happens when I try to export or import Notes. I use SuperNotePad
> all the time and couldn't imagine Newt-ing without it, so I have concluded
> that I'm just not ever going to be able to backup with NCU.
>
> Of course I would be thrilled to discover a workaround but alas, after all
> these years, I'm not too optimistic.

        I use SuperNotePad all the time myself, and have no trouble backing
up via NCU.

        I'd bet cash money that the serializer is breaking on a malformed
note. SuperNotePad may be able to make sense of it, or maybe it's invisible,
but when the serializer tries to break down its frame structure, it
hits badness.

        Actually trying to figure out which note it is would be a b...
um, a hard thing to do. You'd either have to take the 'paperoll' soup
apart with a really good soup editor, bit by bit, or else take a full
card backup and then spend a couple of days alternately deleting notes
and trying an NCU backup. Binary chop would work here. Delete half
your notes, try a backup. It works, the bad note was in the half you
deleted. Restore everything, delete the other half plus half the notes
you deleted the first time. It doesn't work, delete half the remaining
notes and try again...you get the idea. Life could get complicated if
more than one note is messed up.

Mike O'Brien