Re: [NTLK] Appletalk over Ethernet to Basilisk on Linux (andthrough)

From: Jim Anderson (jiman_at_microsoft.com)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 14:33:56 EST

Laurent wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say that you=20
> have Basilisk set with 80MB of memory.=20

When you run Basilisk, you can specify how much RAM the virtual computer
has. The trick, I imagine, is to give it enough to run well, without
giving it so much that your host OS has to start paging...
=20
> Now, back to your problem, I must say that I've seen in the=20
> past a -1 communication error. You will need to check if the=20
> error always happens at the same place. Check carefully what=20
> NCU is doing when the error is happening. If it always=20
> happens at the same place, some corruption within what NCU is=20
> trying to back up may choke NCU. I've seen it in the past=20
> with large notes in the notepad that I had created with=20
> BigNote from Standalone. From what I understand from the=20
> backup process, NCU doesn't merely dump the stream of data=20
> from the Newton into a file on the disk, but seems to somehow=20
> "process" those info coming in, so that if it finds something=20
> odd, it may fails.

        Hmmm... I *do* use BigNotes, but I don't have any notes bigger
than about 7K. Hopefully setting the memory used by NCU inside MacOS
will take care of this.

Jim Anderson

Who is enjoying playing with his new "Mac" tremendously.