Re: [NTLK] Another Battery Miracle!

From: Johannes Wolf (jwolf_at_xe.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 02:26:39 EST

Do not expect such mysterious things.
The battery pack you got was probably simply too old.
You mention that you have drained it to zero. How have you done that?
The Newt will normally switch off below 20% in order to prevent the battery
pack from deep discharge.
Deep discharge is something you should not do, because it may damage your
battery.
As far as I know the Newt stand charger will only apply a constant charging
current (during the Led is red) until the charging end voltage is reached
(Led turns into green).
If you cannot charge the battery pack this way it is definitely dead.
But be careful. In my experience it was often the case that I had bad
electrical contact between the Batteries and the charger terminals.
This results in turning the Led to red, but the current cannot flow through
the battery and the Led will not turn back to green.
In other words: the battery will not be charged in this case.
A good indication that the batteries really get charged is that they warm up
during charging.

Johannes