[NTLK] An (expensive) way to be flexible (not mobile) with 802.11b and Newton 2X00

From: Warren Stone (warren_at_ttr225.com)
Date: Wed Feb 20 2002 - 20:50:36 EST

I wanted to let everyone know that this option exists, provided you are
too concerned with the cost. Lucent (Agere) makes an 802.11b Ethernet
converter. The converter is about $190 without the 802.11b card which is
another $100. The converter lets you plug any Ethernet device into the
device and it sends it over the air to an 802.11b base station. The
latest F/W on the Agere (www.wavelan.com) web site allows the device to
support AppleTalk. For Mac users the AppleTalk support is all but
useless because of the slow speed but for a Newton sync and email it is
acceptable.

The Ethernet converter is about 2" x 4" x 1" so it's not gigantic but
it's not small either. It requires an AC adapter which converts to
5.2VDC so you can setup anywhere in your coverage area but it's not
mobile. Theoretically you could buy a 6V sealed lead acid battery and
charger, put it all in a plastic case and create a "mobile" solution if
you don't mind the extra lb. or so of weight.

Just wanted to let everyone know it existed. Makes my life a lot easier
since my main location to use my Newton is 100' from my wired LAN but my
entire house is covered by the 802.11 LAN. They even make a converter
with a serial/Ethernet <-> 802.11 capability (for more money) but I
have no idea if the serial application even makes sense for a Newton
without an Ethernet card.

Enjoy,
Warren