Re: [NTLK] Connecting Newton to OSX

From: zbir_at_urbanape.com
Date: Wed Feb 20 2002 - 08:50:48 EST

> on 19-02-2002 3:31, zbir_at_urbanape.com at zbir_at_urbanape.com wrote:
>
> > For getting files onto the newton, you can also use UnixNPI, which I've
> > been very pleased with.
>
> Could you elaborate on this, like will it just install under OS X or is
> there something special that one should do ?
>
> Which packages does one need, is Ethernet connection supported ?

This is a note I sent to another inquiring soul about just such stuff.

---

Sure thing.

> How did you get UnixMPI to compile ?

First, you'll need the Developer Tools installed ( Project Builder, Interface Builder, cc, etc ) - if you look in the Finder in the root level of your hard drive and see a folder named "Developer", you're all set.

The source for UnixNPI is now on sourceforge at <URL:http://unixnpi.sf.net/>. Once you have the source tarball downloaded and unarchived ( Stuffit Expander does a pretty nice job ), fire up the ol' Terminal and cd into that directory.

Inside, you'll see:

(zbir_at_gibbon ~/unixnpi-1.1.3) $ ls CHANGELOG Makefile Ser230400.pkg newtmnp.c unixnpi.c COPYING README Ser57600.pkg newtmnp.h unixnpi.rc INSTALL Ser115200.pkg fastserial.nwt template

Just run the following command:

(zbir_at_gibbon ~/unixnpi-1.1.3) $ cc -o unixnpi unixnpi.c (zbir_at_gibbon ~/unixnpi-1.1.3) $ mv unixnpi /where/it/lives/bin/ (zbir_at_gibbon ~/unixnpi-1.1.3) $ cp unixnpi.rc ~/.unixnpi.rc

I've added /Users/zbir/bin to my PATH environment variable, so I moved the executable file there. You might also try /usr/local/bin if that exists on your system. The unixnpi.rc file is the configuration file. You probably needn't edit it, as you'll be creating some symlinks in /dev for the newton.

I've got the Keyspan Twin Serial USB adapter, so when it's plugged in, I have two extra entries in /dev: tty.KeyUSA28X181.1 and tty.KeyUSA28x181.2 ( when it's plugged into the first USB slot ). To make the symlink, just run the following command:

(zbir_at_gibbon ~) $ sudo ln -s /dev/tty.KeyUSA28X181.1 /dev/newton

Of course, if you're using a different adapter, it may show up as a different /dev/ device. Change the above command appropriately.

Now with that all done, you can install packages from the Terminal when the newt is connected over serial.

(zbir_at_gibbon ~) $ unixnpi foobar.pkg

At this point, you'll want Dock running on the Newt, and press connect after you run the above command.

Ta da!

---

Let me know if you have any problems.

Zachery Bir <zbir_at_urbanape.com> <URL:http://www.urbanape.com/>