Re: [NTLK] Please Ban Bigots

From: Karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 12:48:07 EST

Nathan J Hunt wrote:

> >Hi,
> >
> >This list has proven recently that bigots can indeed
> >type. I had hoped HWR would slow them down. Alas, it
> >appears that they can even use a stylus.
> >
> >I realize asking for idiots to be BANNED threatens
> >middle class sensibilities. However if the trolls keep
> >breeding and spawning then I shall have to leave this
> >list. Screening through 90 per cent off topic content
> >is not my idea of a good use of my time.
> >
> >Sincerely
> >
> >Eric Engle
> Seems that bigots are not the only ones who are bigoted. Calling the
> names such as idiots, trolls, and insulting their mechanical
> functions brings to mind such liberal tendencies as tolerance for
> everyone except the ones labelled as "intolerant" (read, the ones
> they disagree with.)

Idiocy is a verifiable psychological qualification. Given enough
postings, it should theoretically be possible (if anyone could be
bothered, that is) to ascertain at least a good indication of the IQ of
the poster.

"Trollism" is a behavioral description; i.e.: it can be applied to
certain posting patterns.

I can tolerate an idiot (using the term in the psychological meaning
here). I know a few "mentally challenged"

 (is that the PC term these days? In my younger days they were still
called "retarded" which, IMHO, is a less confusing term) persons, and
they are actually quite entertaining discussion partners. I quickly
learned that having mental problems does not mean one has no opinions on
philosophical or ethical matters, nor that those matters cannot be
discussed.

Trolls, OTOH, I do have a problem with. If one is not capable or
prepared to intellectually defend one's statements, one should not post
on UseNet. And no, shouting and using foul language does not count as
intellectual discussion.

--
Karel Jansens
kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be

"We're here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and we're all out of gum." (Dr. Zulu of Team Diotoir on Robot Wars Extreme)