Re: [NTLK] Another Battery Miracle!

From: Johannes Wolf (jwolf_at_xe.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Wed Feb 20 2002 - 03:46:31 EST

Chris,

where have yo charged your battery pack ???
The method I described is not a all-healing method.
The battery pack must be in a state where curing the cells is still
possible.
But unfortunately every battery pack will reach its end of life sometime.

12 hour of charging are not too much, if you apply a charging current of
about 10% of the capacity value:
for 1000 mAh cells this would be maximum 100 mA.
The current of normal battery chargers you can buy is often limited to 50
mA.

If you did charge it within your Newt there is no risk to damage the battery
pack, because there is a temperature sensor as well as an "intelligent"
charging algorithm. Thus you can leave it in your adapter powered Newt
forever without any damage. As soon as the battery is completely charged,
the Newt will switch over to a so called trickle charging mode which only
keeps the actual load on the battery by applying a very small charging
current.

The answer to your question how to revive the pack depends strongly on what
you have done with it.
In case it was in the Newt I am sorry, it probably reached its end of life,
but this would have happened in any case sooner or later.

Johannes