Re: [NTLK] Farallon crossover cable

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 14:41:29 EST

OK, then get the cross-over cable and a dual-female
RJ-45 extender plug. This iwll give you a cross-over
cable to your built in flat-cable. I've had this
problem with other Farallon networking stuff. There's
no call for that kind of locking the user down...I
don't purchase Farallon products because of that!
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://65.84.243.167 (my NPDS server)

--- Rolf Brakvatne <rbrak29_at_qwest.net> wrote:

> Ed,
>
> No, this is a special cable that came with the
> Farallon card. It has a
> special 'flat' end that fits into the card
> and a regular RJ-45 male end.
>
> RB
> On Monday, February 18, 2002, at 10:33 PM, Ed
> Kummel wrote:
>

> > Is this a standard RJ-45 twisted pair ethernet
> cable?
> > If so, you should be able to get them at any
> competant
> > computer store! Heck, there's a little corner shop
> run
> > by a bunch of geeks I went to highschool with and
> > they'll make you a cable in any configuration!
> > Usually though, cross-over cables are Red in
> color, to
> > alert networking people that that is not a normal
> > cable. If you feel industrious, you can make one
> your
> > self.(I wouldn't recomend this unless you have
> your
> > own RJ-45 crimping tool) And sometimes (I caution
> you
> > on this) and I do mean sometimes...if you have a
> good
> > relationship with your neighborhood Radio Shack
> and
> > the computer guy seems competant...they may have
> one
> > as well! (I had to tell the guy there how to make
> it,
> > but they did it for me and it suited the purpose
> at
> > hand.
> > Cat-5 cable has 8 wires. You must have them paired
> as
> > pair1, pins 1&2, and pair2 pins 3&6. Nevermind
> about
> > the rest. For a straight through cable, pair1 on
> one
> > end goes to pair1 on the other end. And as you can
> > guess, a cross over cable has pair1 on one end
> going
> > to pair2 on the other end and vise-versa.
> >
> > If you have questions, there are a TON of examples
> on
> > the internet. Ask and ye shall receive.
> > Ed
> > web/gadget guru
> > come and see my Newt on the web (well, mostly) at:
> > http://65.84.243.167
> >
> > --- Rolf Brakvatne <rbrak29_at_qwest.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Apparently the cable that comes with my Farallon
> >> EtherMac card is a
> >> 'straight' Ethernet cable because I can only
> connect
> >> to my Macs via a
> >> networked hub. Does anyone know if a crossover
> cable
> >> is available for
> >> these cards. I contacted Proxim, but they have
> not
> >> responded.
> >>
> >> RB
> >
> > =====
> > Just because you're a genius, doesn't make you a
> smart guy!
> [...]

=====
- The Powerpuff Girls -