[NTLK] Re - Power adapter and Sharp Expert Pad

From: Frank Gruendel (Frank_Gruendel_at_t-online.de)
Date: Sat Feb 16 2002 - 15:35:08 EST

> I have a Sharp Expert Pad that I inherited a while back, and I'm having a
> heck of a time getting it to work with a DC power adapter of any kind.

Does it work with the battery?

> ordered a 7 volt Newton adapter and it will not power up the unit. I don't
> have manuals or documentation for the Expert Pad,

If this is the thing that looks like an OMP / MP100, you can download a
42 MegaByte service manual in pdf format from www.unna.org.

> So, I went to RadioShack
> and bought a generic 6v adapter and a plug adapter so that it would fit
> into the newton.

Whenever you plan to power such a device from a generic adapter, make
sure it doesn't supply a higher voltage than what it claims. This is done by
measuring the voltage while the adapter isn't powering anything. Cheap
unregulated
adapters can supply more than 50% more than they are labeled with.

> Plug fit great, but unit would not power on.

Actually, I doubt that. The Newton plug is a special one that no generic
adapter
I've ever seen has. It looks exactly like those on the adapter, but is in
fact just
a weeny bit different. It can happen that the plug appears to fit great and
still doesn't make contact.

> Changed polarity on the plug from positive to negative, still no luck.
> Hopefully I did not damage the unit through all of these failed
attempts...
> but I am at my wits end here.

Tell us if it works with a battery. We can take it up from there.

> I suppose I could try a 9 volt newton adapter...

No, you can't. There isn't a 9 volt Newton adapter. You could easily
kill it that way. There is a 9 watt Newton adapter that supplies 7.5 volts.

Good luck

Frank

Newton hardware and software at http://www.pda-soft.de