Re: [NTLK] AirPort on Newton *important*

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 17:38:12 EST

on 14-02-2002 4:38, Oliver Brose at oliver.brose_at_t-online.de wrote:

> Ad-Hoc mode = computer to computer network, you can pick it from the
> controlstrip.

Thanks, one can't know everything in live ;-)

> I'm not sure wether you need TCP/IP anyway (to dock), just set AppleTalk to
> AirPort for a start. I've not yet tried to get the Newt online via AirPort,

You were right there, I suppose that the TCP/IP is 'only' to get on the web,
I was puzzled by that too since the connection itself isn't TCP/IP after
all.

So now for the good news !

I just installed Waki and did a complete backup, seems about the same speed
as Ethernet, no wires !

Hard to not love this and to not feel really spoiled.

Guess the driver was a bit better than originally reported, though I keep
wondering why it reports that it isn't compatible after a restart,
any developers with ideas about this ?

Somehow it freezes when I try to install larger packages like Lexionary I
get an -28703 error (which seems to be an NCU error) and so far I have the
feeling that the driver leaks heap like crazy.
Will give it a shot comparing speeds with my Ethernet card and checking of
my Lexionary isn't somehow corrupted, but I don't think that's the case.

Laurent, weren't you working on this driver at some point ? Or was that
another one. Curious to know if somebody on the list has the source code.

Robert Benschop