Re: [NTLK] How Do You USE Your Newt?

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 16:48:34 EST

I read this in the morning and here it is afternoon,
and you know? I still don't have an answer for this in
the way you are thinking. Asking me "how I use my
Newt" is similar to asking me "how I use my lungs".
When I use my Newton, it is not a conscious thing. It
"just happens" I expect my newt to be there and to
have certain capabilities in much the same way I know
my lungs cannot survive a marathon, I know that my
Newt cannot be used as a hammer! It's an "intrinsic"
knowledge that comes from being in such close
proximity to a device for so long you "just know".
People on this list make jokes about sleeping with
your newt. Well, honestly? I do. It sits on it's own
pillow on the nightstand next to my head. It puts me
to sleep at night (over 2,000 games of SoloDeluxe and
tons of newton books. I'm currently reading that
"Underground" book) It has garnered the respect of my
friends and family and they even say "let's ask the
Newt, it will know" It has a repository of knowledge
stored in my hundreds of notes, and books. Port usage,
Web Server errors, (quick, what's a 415 error?) a list
of every MP3 (and by definition, every CD) I own,
passwords and logons, serial numbers for software, IP
distributions for the various IP blocks I'm
responsible.
I guess if you had to have an answer, it would be I
use the Newt as a supplimental brain. It stores and
retreives this things that are too mundane to clutter
my biological brain up with. That would be the best
answer I can give you. Oh, and also as a webserver!
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://65.84.243.167 (my NPDS server)

--- Bradford Schmidt <brad_at_jojoro.com> wrote:

> Sorry if this has been done, but I'm really curious
> how people use their
> newts.
<snip>

=====