Re: [NTLK] OSX - OT

From: Karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 10:46:42 EST

Oliver Brose wrote:

> > Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 22:56 +0100
> > From: "Karel Jansens" <kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be>
> > Subject: Re: [NTLK] OSX - OT
> >
> >. NewtOs on average seems to freeze about once a week, about on par
> > with EP0C on the Series 5. Not too bad, but better is possible.
>
> Uhm, if my Newt would freeze once a week I would thing that there is
> something wrong with it, or conflicting. Or I would happen to experiment a
> lot. On average, my Newt freezes once every 5 weeks, if at all.

I tend to load and unload a lot of packages, that's true. But keep in
mind that I have only been using a Newton since August 2001, so I'm
still in my discovery phase. At the moment, the ATA filter beta seems to
be the biggest culprit (my Simple Technology CF card has bombed twice
already on beta 10, requiring a complete reformat of the card each time
- switched to b12 today, hoping for better experience).

Still, the things I did to my poor 3a in its first year would make my
Newt's hairs stand on end, but it never ever gave in. My Psion has
effectively not been rebooted once in six years (make that seven: It's
gone into other hands, but I keep an eye on it).

In Newt's favour: The Series 5 (which I never used) seems to be in the
same "stability league" as the Newton.

--
Karel Jansens
kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be

"We're here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and we're all out of gum." (Dr. Zulu of Team Diotoir on Robot Wars Extreme)