Re: [NTLK] Mp3 playback from card...

From: Eckhart Koeppen (eck1000_at_gmx.net)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 16:42:57 EST

Joe Anthenat wrote:
> OK, got the MAD Max player to work (after installing all the pieces,
> duh...). Re-encoded "Woody's Roundup" from the Toy Story 2 soundtrack.
> What can I say, I have two small children... With song stored on 256mb
> Viking ATA card, playback stutters quite badly. However, when the song
> is moved to the Internal store, playback is flawless. I'm curious if
> playback from a linear card is any better?

Interesting observation... I do notice choppy playback from my 32MB
linear card with a 128kbit file. I haven't looked deeper into that (i.e.
trying to play back from the internal store), but usually, the problems
with choppy playback can be either a slow card, slow networking or slow
decoding. For 128kbit files, you'd need transfer speeds of at least 13
KBytes/sec.

I will run some tests regarding this and put a summary on MAD Newton's
web page.

Eckhart

--
                   -- eck_at_40hz.org -- www.40hz.org --