Re: [NTLK] Canadian Newton Bulk Buy?

From: Michael Bain (UIDnt0102_at_macboy.homeip.net)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 01:43:11 EST

* Michael Blazer <m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca> [13 Feb 2002 20:43]:

> The total cost came in just under CDN$300 including shipping. (Thanks,
> Michael Bain!).

You're welcome :-)

> I saw all three that were sent to Toronto, and they were in pretty decent
> condition. All three had some scratches and worn areas on the screen. A
> couple had some imperfections in the case, like somebody had tried to pry it
> open a little too hard. They were fully functional, though, and I ran them
> for a few hours to confirm that the battery packs were holding a decent
> charge. Having seen a few postings on this list from people whose US$150
> Newts were described as "pristine" or almost unused condition, I was a bit
> disappointed. But that was just having unduly high expectations for a used
> item.

Yeah, the conditions varied in the 10-pack, from pristine to, well, from
what you described, I think you got one of the worst ones. (Sorry, I
grabbed them pretty much at random, just to be fair) I will say there
were a couple that were in (near) pristine condition, but they are
definitely used newtons.

> The suspicious side of me wonders if the vendor sent out the best ones first
> in order to drum up positive talk on the list. The really suspicious side
> of me (don't worry - there are a few other sides left!) wonders if he sent
> the worst ones to Canada on the theory that it would be too much trouble for
> us to complain and send them back.

I don't think so. I think the whole batch they were selling were
packaged up at once, and then they just grabbed boxes out of the pile as
orders came in.

> All in all, I'd still say it was a pretty good deal, and certainly the
> lowest price I've seen. Came with original stylus, battery pack, AC
> adapter, 4MB card, and a (probably custom) cable with a Newton interconnect
> plug (no dongle needed) on one end and a PC serial plug on the other end.

Which (as an aside), I used today as a serial console for a linux box at
work. Works like a charm :-)

Mike

--
Michael Bain           | One day I want to look through three hundred
mike_at_macboy.homeip.net | thousand kilometres of space and say: