[NTLK] Amazing. I should have done this a long time ago...

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 23:27:33 EST

Incredible...that's all I can say...incredible! And
amazing. Incredible, amazing and unbelievable. There
are no other words for it. Just incredible, amazing,
unbelievable and wow! (sounds like a Steve Martin skit
here)
Well, I finally did it. About a month ago, I made the
plunge, went to Radio Shack and special ordered the
5mhz crystals from their National Parts (2 crystals
with shipping was $10 and change)
I couldn't find any 3.686 crystals or micro mini
switches, so when my 5mhz xtals arrived a few weeks
ago, they just sat there on my work bench, untouched.

But upon reading where a fellow Newton Talker said
that he just uses the 5mhz xtal and sees no problem
(doesn't need to switch back and forth) I sat down at
my bench and said "what the heck".

Cracked open (and I do mean >>>C*R*A*C*K<<<) the Newt
(that's the toughest part, getting past those
horrendous noises the newt makes when opening it up!)
Unsoldered the 3.686, applied some electrical tape and
soldered in the 5mhz. I don't do serial transfers, so
that's not a problem...and it has been determined that
the d-link card doesn't mind being sped up. So, I felt
my problems were minimal!
Crossed my fingers, made an offering to my favorite
pagan god (well, I'm agnostic, but it doesn't hurt)
popped in the battery pack and fired up the Newt...

wow

Sure the sounds are a bit funny (can't use Kathy
anymore...that sounds too much like baby muppets. But
Fred sounds just right!) but the

is just amazing! It's like a new Newt. It feels the
way my MP2000 did when I upgraded from my MP210.
And I can attest that the d-link 660 ethernet card
shows no indication that it is in a speeded up Newt...

I'm going to download that speed test program and
build a site that shows what I did.
After I've run my newt for a few days like this, I'm
going to accellerate my NPDS Newt (want to make sure
there are no unforseen problems)
Stay tuned to my NPDS server for future details on the
coming pages and pictures.

I suspect that I will someday in the future put the
3.686 and switch in...just to maintain compatibility
with other Newts, but until then, I'm stoked!
Ed
web/gadget guru
come and see my Newt on the web (well, mostly) at: http://65.84.243.167

=====