Re: [NTLK] newton sales figures?

From: Michael J. Hußmann (michael_at_michael-hussmann.de)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 19:09:10 EST

David Orriss Jr (dave_at_davenet.net) wrote:

> I've heard that SJ had expressed
> interest in doing something with the Newton technology to make it
> profitable but that the knowledgebase to do that had left and *that* was
> why he killed it.

It was the other way round: when Apple re-absorbed Newton, Inc., SJ had
made it quite clear that this was the kiss of death and that it might be
a good idea to look for employment elsewhere -- not that the Newton, Inc.
staff was keen on going back to Cupertino anyway. Soon after that, most
Newton developers that hadn't already left were laid off. The Newton
division was effectively killed several months before the Newton's
official demise. At least, that's what the evidence suggests.

> Why *exactly* Steve killed the Newton is anyone's guess. I'm willing to
> bet it was a combination of "he didn't invent it" with the fact that only
> the 2k series became "marginally profitable" (to quote Woz).

Marginally profitable is still profitable, so why kill it? Sunk costs
don't count, as killing the product line won't bring back those lost $$
either.

- Michael

Michael J. Hussmann

E-mail: michael_at_michael-hussmann.de