Re: [NTLK] Rumors Newton OS 3

From: Chet Johns (tcjohns_at_home.com)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 14:15:29 EST

Good News, I found and copied the article. Bad news, it was from the
MacWorld Forums so it is probably just a garbage rumor. As you can see it
was reportedly supposed to be based on Darwin. Oh well, live on little green
friend.
-Chet

Newton OS 3 dubbed 'Navi'

According to a source close to Avie, a group at Apple is close to finalizing
the software that will drive the next Apple MessagePad. I didn't hear
anything about any hardware yet, but as far as the OS is concerned, it seems
like it's going to be based on Darwin. There are three layers on top of it.
One is Cocoa: Apps coded for Apple's Cocoa environment will definitely be
only a compile away from running on Apple's next PDA. The second layer is
QuickTime. Although it's debatable whether a small device should be able to
play full-length movies, the technology will be ready for it. The third
layer is where it becomes interesting. The main graphics engine will be
OpenGL based. The user interface will look similar to the 'Slate' theme
QuickTime and iTunes are using, but it will definitely *not* be the same.
The interface is said to be something completely unexpected when you first
look at it. Although it *is* fully based on 3D and the displays for the
devices will *of course* be color, both those features will mostly be used
to provide a very natural, analogue feeling to the device. Applications that
are already set for bundling is a bumped up version of iTunes (which also
plays all other QT media and therefore the device won't need a separate QT
player), a PIM application that derives straight from Newton OS 2.x and
something the source only said the following about: "The Japanese will buy a
lot of those devices once they're out."