Re: [NTLK] Database program? (NewtDB)

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_mediaone.net)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 13:02:43 EST

>But my first impression on NewtDb is not that good.
>It is not resized on the MP2x00 and not very intuitive in my opinion.
>I found it much easier to start with FilePad or even easier with EBase.
>I do not know what your problem is with QF despite the fact that it is
>expensive.
>I am happy with it, but it is no data base.

My impression was that the original poster was looking for a spreadsheet
for grade/attendance keeping.

NewtDB is not a spreadsheet, it's a relational dbase. QF is not a dbase,
it's a spreadsheet. I bought NewtDB as I like it a lot for my use; plus
it exports to a desktop-useable format. I would not think of using it for
grades etc.- it's not a spreadsheet. Although you could make a record for
each student, store individual data for that student, and have a way to get
it to the desktop for use in Excel or whatever, I think using it in that
fashion would be clunky compared to spreadsheet alternatives.

IMO, the problem with the freebie Ebase and Clarity etc. grade keeping apps
is that they use a custom format- you're not going to be able to export
your data to desktop or read it with another app. Clarity sounds neat but
I've read too many posts here about it getting corrupt at some point (I
know some people do use it though). I would never trust grades (or any
important data) to something I can't backup and access elsewhere in case of
troubles. Life is too short for screwups like that. And certainly
students don't all deserve "A"'s just because in the last week of class
Clarity ate all your data. Clarity users' comments welcome here.

For $59, the QF Works Pro seems pretty neat. I THOUGHT there was a QF lite
that was free, but only see the QF Works plugin as freebie, and that needs
a previous version of QF (not free?) installed; I might have just missed
it. Email pelicanware and find out for certain.

But it sounded to me like the initial poster wanted a spreadsheet for
keeping grades, and Pelicanware is the place for that, IMO. $59 for a neat
app, used in your professional life, with email support (DonV is quick to
reply when I've emailed) seems worth the price, if you care about your
data. Drink domestic beer for the next little while and you will have paid
for it (in more ways than one :).

Brian