Re: [NTLK] Newton vs. Pocket PC 2002 (aka WindowsCE 3.0)

From: Apostolos Koutropoulos (AdmiralAK_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 08:53:11 EST

On 2/13/02 2:09, "Bill Davis" at <newton_at_ecity.net> Wrote:

=20
I bought an iPaq 3870 as a more portable companion to my newton (when I am
not even carrying a backpack when I travel) -- I am a technology addict wha=
can I say.

>=20
> This is a PocketPC 2000 OS unit, not 2002. It's not upgradable, since
> with the 2002 OS, MS decided to screw all the existing customers except
> the iPaq owners and REQUIRE that all WinCE units use the StrongARM
> processor. The Jornadas don't use that processor. They use the SH3
> processor. Several other processors also used to be supported by WinCE
> before 2002. No longer.
>=20
> Nice way you treat your customers, Microsoft. (Not that I'm really
> surprised, mind you.)

--- I can't believe I am saying this, but microsoft needed to make a
decision about what to support, and going with the strongARM was the best
choice IMHO. One company can't support the same OS for many different
processors. It creates chaos. I support microsoft's decision.

>=20
>> The 3800 series has a -really- nice screen. Crisp, bright, 16-bit color=
,
>> TFT, side lit (like notebooks) with fully adjustable brightness. It loo=
ks
>> really pretty. The screen is probably its best feature. And it has
>> nothing to do with the OS :).
>=20
> The screen on my Jornada is pretty nice, although not as nice as the
> iPaqs (only 12-bit color) and more importantly, despite being color, it's
> usable outside.
>=20
>> ActiveSync works more or less seamlessly between the Windows desktop and
>> the Pocket PC... when it works at all. The listener has a habit of wedg=
ing
>> Windows 98 SE and there is no official way not to have it start at boot
>> other than to uninstall ActiveSync (unoffically, there is a little hack
>> called "Kill Active Sync" which does it).
>=20

---
Well activesync has been a mixed bag for me, at times it connects, others
not. Well it's an M$ product lol :P

>> I've long said that portable MP3 players suck, especially when they're >> really pocket diaries masqerading as audio gear. This one proves it for >> two reasons: no play/pause/stop buttons, and no volume control. Everyth= ing >> is on-screen, which is fine if you want to walk around holding it in one >> hand and a stylus in the other. Not for me; I'll stick with my MiniDisc= s. >=20 I agree as well. As a player it sucks. As a sampling tool it is nice :)

>=20

>=20 > Hey, it IS windows. Then again, you can do bad user interface with any > OS. I've seen my share of poor Newton and Mac programs too. But those > are usually self-correcting by the "customers". This doesn't seem to > happen to Windows apps for some reason. Pity. >=20 --- There is NOTHING better than the newton UI IMHO

>=20 >> Calligrapher is now part of the OS. Err... well, it -ships- in ROM. It >> still isn't really part of the OS, and the implementation is rather clun= ky. >> And the screen is physically too small to write on, IMO. Perhaps my >> opinion will change if I give it the chance to adapt. Still, it lacks t= he >> simplicity of Newton's HWR. >=20 ---

Well true and false. Transcriber is a lite version of calligrapher. I actually bought calligrapher since I was unsatisfied with transcriber. I a= m unsatifies with calligrapher as well cause it aint the newton HWR. It doesn=B9t recognize accents, umlauts, special characters like the =DF (s-zet) the O with the line through it UNLESS you install a german or french expansion pack, but if you do so you pay more, and I think you cant use bot= h english and french(or german) dicts at the same time. Kinda sucks.

>=20 >> Last points: speed issues. Yes, the 3800 has a 206 MHz StrongArm 1100 C= PU. >> That CPU is loading apps and saving files on an MS-DOS FAT filesystem. = Not >> the SA1100's fault that WinCE is slow.

One last thing, memory management sucks. When you hit the X to close an ap= p it just minimizes it, it doesn=B9t kill it so you end up having a gazilion apps (exageration) open and the device slows to a crawl! :p

#-----------------------------------# | DJ Admiral | | Club Admiralty 1996-2002 | | http://www.club-admiralty.com | | admiral_at_club-admiralty.com | #-----------------------------------#