Re: [NTLK] [OT] More Food for thought...

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 08:23:33 EST

on 12/02/02 23:21, Oz Suguitan at ozs_at_gameporium.com wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 12, 2002, at 08:08 PM, Ed Kummel wrote:
>
>> Yeah, but what IS the "right thing"? I don't expect
>> that Victor will be the "List Dad" forever, nor to I
>> require it. Some day in the future (as with all lists)
>> the moderator will no longer WANT to be the moderator.
>> Then we are at the mercy of whoever will fill the
>> place. I mean, think about it! We need something
>> written down, because what if (heaven forbid) I may
>> become the List Dad!!!
>> Ed (Judge Roy Bean: The "Hangin' List Dad)
>> web/gadget guru
>> come and see my Newt on the web (well, mostly) at:
>> http://65.84.243.167
>
> Ed?
>
> YOU the list Dad? Heaven forbid!!!
>
> -Oz Suguitan
> Gameporium

Oz,

I wanted you to know that I, for one, am happy to see you back. Hope you'll
be around for a little while.

-Laurent.

droid n.: [from `android', SF terminology for a humanoid robot of essentially biological (as opposed to mechanical/electronic) construction] A person (esp. a low-level bureaucrat or service-business employee) exhibiting most of the following characteristics: (a) naive trust in the wisdom of the parent organization or `the system'; (b) a blind-faith propensity to believe obvious nonsense emitted by authority figures (or computers!); (c) a rule-governed mentality, one unwilling or unable to look beyond the `letter of the law' in exceptional situations; (d) a paralyzing fear of official reprimand or worse if Procedures are not followed No Matter What; and (e) no interest in doing anything above or beyond the call of a very narrowly-interpreted duty, or in particular in fixing that which is broken; an "It's not my job, man" attitude.