Re: [NTLK] Airport on Newton

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 05:35:07 EST

on 21-01-2002 8:46, Jim Richter at paparichter_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> Actually it's just must simpler than I thought it was.
>
> 1) Install the Lucent WaveLan driver

Done, apart from the errors that it gives me it seems to work fine.

Interesting fact is that in the AppleTalk prefs on the Newt I don't just get
the Lucent WaveLaan/IEEE but also the MELCO WLI-L11 and the IBM PC24E-H-FC
listed, maybe somebody that happens to have one pf these could try it out
too ?

> 2) Put your PCMCIA card in your Newton.
> 3) A dialog box pops up on the Newton identifying the WaveLan Pc Card.
> Check the AppleTalk box in the left hand corner.
> 4) Go to Internet Setup and create a new Generic set up. Name it
> Wireless or something like that.
> 5) In the setup, choose a manual configuration (vs. DHCP)

You never mention it Jim but I presume that it's 'Connect using Ethernet' as
the first step.

> 6) Hit continue, for the page with all the TCP/IP stuff, just leave it
> blank. You're going to be connecting via AppleTalk.
> 7) Open up NCU. Under preferences, choose AppleTalk connection.
> 8) Make sure Appletalk is turned on on your Mac. Under the AppleTalk
> control panel, make sure AppleTalk is set to Airport. Open up TCP/IP
> control panel and make sure it's set to Airport. Make sure File Sharing
> is turned on.

Now here I run into a weird problem, since I don't have an IP address I
don't know what top fill in here, and TCP/IP is adamant, no way it will let
me close the control panel without it, so should I choose the BootP, the
DHCP or the RARP server ? Doesn't make sense to me.

Hoping to make a full connection one of these days, so far been very
impressed to have been typing wireless, looking for more though.
(of course)

Robert Benschop