Re: [NTLK] [OT] More Food for thought...

From: Bradford Schmidt (brad_at_jojoro.com)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 12:49:28 EST

On 2/12/2002 at 12:28 PM Lou Forlini wrote:

> The problem with making any statements of specific consequence is
>that they then have to be enforced.

> The other problem you run into is how to define an infraction,
>like your example of 'profanity'.

> I like the 'hands-off' approach that we have with this list.

My 2 cents: I agree here. Call me a libertarian, but I don't like the=
 idea of someone being the arbiter of taste, profanity or anything else for=
 a group of people, large or small. Frankly, this is self-policing:=
  certain people on the list are in my kill file - simple. If the people=
 that don't want their time wasted reading crap (or shit <g>) just simply=
 move posters to kill files, the "offending" parties will eventually notice=
 that no one seems to hear them - because they won't.

Further, if people want to spend their time debationg a topic FOREVER they=
 will eventually learn that they should simply move it off-list via email=
 or another forum - because again, no one will hear them if they are=
 kill-filed, or else no one will want to deal with them if they aren't.

Maybe it's because I live in a nanny-state (NY), but I'm tired of people=
 trying to over-legislate things will sort themselves out in the end.