Re: [NTLK] ThinkPad vs. MessagePad

From: Fred Buecker (tfbiii_at_nbscomputers.net)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 12:22:55 EST

This actually brings up a somewhat similar question that I have been trying
to research. Windows allows the IrDA to be mapped to a COMM since in
hardware it seems to be a serial-type interface. In UNIX, people have writen
TCP/IP to COMM emulators to tricks serial-only apps into using an Ethernet
connection as a COMM port. I have yet to find a Windows-based application
that will allow the same Ethernet to Serial conversion (virtual COMM port -
reports to Ethernet on assigned TCP/IP port). Has anyone ever seen such a
beast in the wild? Hacking the Windows NCU itself seems to be beyond ability
or care, something like this would certainly help a LOT of people with
various issues.

TIA,

Fred