Re: [NTLK] OSX - OT

From: Michael J. Hußmann (michael_at_michael-hussmann.de)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 10:05:23 EST

mark d smith (markds_at_mac.com) wrote:

> In addition to pre-emptive multitasking and memory protection, MacOS X
> offers improvements over classic MacOS in:
>
> - networking (we know about the exceptions here)

Yep.

> - all things Java related

Nothing to do with Mac OS X, really. You will remember when Apple killed
OpenDoc, justifying this decision by declaring they would use Java
instead? And how no-one was able to see the connection between OpenDoc
and Java, and how one could be a replacement for the other (JavaBeans, I
know, but still ...)? Anyway, what really happened was that Java support
under Mac OS came to a standstill. For years, Apple neglected Java
completely, making the Mac the worst platform of all for Java
development. It's great that they came to their senses eventually, but I
would have preferred this to have happened earlier, making even the
classic Mac OS a robust platform for Java development and delivery.

> - all things multi-user related

Yeah, I know that some people believe this to be essential.

> - all things OpenGL related

Apple's adoption of OpenGL predates Mac OS X, no?

> - multiple (parallel) processing

True. Symmetrical multiprocessing doesn't do wonders, as some people
think, but it's useful to have all the same.

> - 2D graphics

Not that much more than what QuickDraw GX offered, but it's true. This
comes at a price, though.

> - development

Yes, if you choose Cocoa.

> - scripting

Nothing new really, or rather nothing that couldn't have been done unter
the classic Mac OS as well (such as Apple Script Studio, which resembles
commercial offerings available for many years under the classic Mac OS).

> - availability of open source software

There's open source software for any platform, so I guess you mean
something specific such as GNU?

> - stability

Yes, although Mac OS X can and does still crash. And Mac OS 9 runs quite
stable too, as long as you don't install stuff indiscriminately.

- Michael

Michael J. Hussmann

E-mail: michael_at_michael-hussmann.de
WWW: http://michael-hussmann.de