Re: [NTLK] Aviation

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 05:35:40 EST

>>On 06-02-2002 @ 10:44, emdub wrote:
>>
>>Can you advise of any aviation programs for the Newton
>>or how you use your Newton with regards to aviation?
>
>On 2/11/02 @ 23:27, Robert Benschop wrote:
>
>Now I'm absolutely NOT a pilot, but this always seemed
>handy for a pilot to me:
>
>http://www.standalone.com/MessagePad/Crosswind/content.html

Robert, thanks for the info.

FWIW, while this is a handy piece of software for preflight planning.
However in actual use, it may not be the most handy -- especially when on
short final.

When landing, the key is to not exceed the crosswind component for the AC
that you are flying. With a starched wing AC, this is very important
since you are limited to the runway directions.

So what many pilots do before TO, is figure the maximum crosswind
component for their particular AC at say 20, 45 and 90 degrees off the
nose. So for example, say my AC has a maximum of 15 knots at 45 degrees.
 That means if the winds are 20 knots at 45 degrees, I will exceed the
envelope so I must adjust my landing to be within parameters.

With rotary wing you have more options such as landing into the wind
regardless of the wind direction. The worst that I've encountered was in
Kansas when an storm front came in quicker than was forecast. We were
fling at night with NVG's in a Scout helicopter. We knew the storm was
coming but we were being used as a commo relay to a field site.

After being hit with turbulence that caused the cyclic to pop out of my
hands, we decided that we better abort and land into the wind. While
sitting on the ground, the Airspeed indicator reached speeds of 90-110
knots. So if we had been cruising at 80 knots, we would have been
actually moving over the ground backwards at 10 to 30 knots.

Anyhow, I had full power in and was basically flying while sitting on the
ground. Each time the wind overpowered my lift, the AC started to rear
back onto the tail boom. Of course the opposite was true when I had more
lift than was needed and we nosed over to the front. It was an
interesting ride to say the least.

Sushi