[NTLK] The silver lining

From: Jonathan Wise (jonwise_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 20:17:17 EST

We had kind of a nasty storm fly through the list lately, and I think if I
had joined in the last week, I probably would have bailed quickly.
Fortunately I've been around just long enough to see the positive side of
the community, and I just wanted to take the opportunity to point out some
really great things that have been done for me, by some of the really great
people here, since I got my first Newton not even a month ago. I won't name
names cause I don't want anyone to possibly take advantage of the kind
heartedness of these people:

 - People always talk about how dangerous an on-line transaction can be and
how you shouldn't risk it. But when I bought my Newton, from a list member,
he sent it to me before he got the money -- totally trusting that I sent the
funds.
 - At our first SONUG meeting, a list member bought -- for everyone there --
a battery booster, at his own expense. Someone else spent a good portion of
time repairing other people's eMate's free of charge.
 - I sent out a request to buy a serial cable, and a list member sent me
one: new, and in it's original packaging, for free -- he didn't even ask for
shipping.
 - After a few weeks with my 120, I realised that it would be well worth
buying a 2100. And as you all know, a list member here "risked" over $2500
of his own money to provide 10 people in Canada with something they couldn't
easily have gotten any other way.

Thanks to all of you. And a special thanks to Victor who provides us all
with the list, with UNNA, and who provided me with some technical reasoning
for carrying around a slightly larger (slightly green) PDA and getting me
some resources to get started.

So for those of you who are new to the list, take heart: this group is full
of some truly wonderful people. For those of you who have been here awhile,
and are a little frustrated with each other, think back to some time that
you had a problem you couldn't solve. Remember how fast the list rallied to
get you an answer.

Jonathan Wise