Re: [NTLK] OSX - OT

From: Jonathan Wise (jonwise_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 20:03:14 EST

I've been following, with interest, the debate about OSX, and I thought it
was time I threw my 2 cents in:

OSX rocks, but does have some major problems. However, I find it quite
useable, quite stable, and quite beautiful -- which really is a major
consideration given the amount of time we spend staring at our computer
screens.
My only major issues are:
- The dock: as a short-cut bar it's kind of cool, as a launcher, it's pretty
much useless. What would help a lot is drawers. Remember in OS/2 Warp (3 - I
never used 4 so I don't know) how there were were drawers in the launcher
where you could logically group applications in to pop-up menus. I believe
they had this is NeXTStep as well.
- The apple menu: it rocked -- they based the Start Menu on that which has
been used everywhere (on Newton shells, Palm shells, Linux...). Now it
sucks -- it's just a menu, and an illogical one at that.

Other than that, there are a few things that sort of fly in the face of
Apple's original Human Interface Guidelines, and maybe some difficulty with
Finder windows (that's probably just from lack of experience/the fact that
I'm used to Windows). Nonetheless, I think OSX is a tremendous step in the
right direction, and M$/KDE/GNOME still have a lot to learn from Apple.

-Jonathan