Re: [NTLK] OSX - OT

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2002 - 17:57:34 EST

> Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 20:24:23 +0000
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] OSX - OT
> From: "Joel M. Sciamma" <joelsciamma_at_compuserve.com>
>
> The Newton is a very well crafted and studied system with a very good UI.
> This cannot be said for current Apple SW (not the trivial stuff like
> iTunes/DVD/Photo bought in from other developers) but AppleWorks, OS X,
> Sherlock II, QT Player which are truly feeble, amateur stuff.

I do not really get your point here - what is so bad about the programs you
name? I myself sometimes encounter problems with AppleWorks, but usually
because I never spent any time "getting to know it". Anyway, comparing it
with MS Office makes AW look like a gift from above.
I also do not see why the iApps should be considered trivial - they work
great and have a lot of potential under the hood, making most complicated
procedures seem like child's play, and just because Apple just "rebanded"
them does not mean that they did not do terrific improvements to their
interfaces.

What is still keeping me away from OSX is basically hardware related.
I chose to have a G3 system, so the OS is not a fast as OS9, and as I failed
to stick a HD with fluid-bearings into the iBook yet, the noise gets on my
nerves.
Regarding the GUI, it is all a matter of getting to know it, and to accept
that some things may work a little different. I have the impression that
things work in a more integrated, fluent way.

And we should not forget that OSX is all new, it did not evolve within 15
years.

Oliver :)

--
Need a Screen Protector to keep your Newton in tip top shape?
Go to <http://www.NuShield.net> for NuShield screen protectors.