[NTLK] [ANN] Blatant, stupid, off-topic messages

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Sat Feb 09 2002 - 15:41:32 EST

Okay, that's it. I've had enough of blatant, stupid off-topic threads
being started in this list for no reason at all.

This is a Newton discussion group. That means that posts should be
related to the Apple Newton MessagePad in some way, shape or form.

Posting a URL to some site that it completely not Newton-related is not
acceptable. Not when your message is being personally delivered to almost
1300 people's personal e-mail accounts. Over 1300 people. That is a lot
of people! They are only expecting Newton discussion. They do not expect
political discussion, no matter how interesting, thought provoking, or
blatantly stupid it is. Anyone who is signed up to this list expecting to
see this kind of discussion, I cordially invite you to leave and find a
form better suited for your topics.

I am going to start unsubscribing people who do things like this. If such
threads somehow develop out of other topics, fine, but posting such crap
as a single URL that has no relation to anything else happening on the
list is not acceptable. I can't prevent anyone from re-subscribing
(unless they are being extremely mean, and that's what the blacklist is
for) but hopefully doing this will jolt them into considering the
consequences of their actions before they send a message to almost 1300
people.

That's all.