Re: [NTLK] [OT] Small World

From: Apostolos Koutropoulos (AdmiralAK_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Feb 09 2002 - 12:43:52 EST

Well I have one thing to say.
I am the silent majority (usually because I know that entourage will screw
up and this message will never see the light of day :p)
In any case, I was born in the USA, my parents are greeks, I grew uphalf my
life in greece (pre-K to 8) and the rest of my life here ( grade 8 to
present) ... This turns out to be about half and half.

I can see the sheer arrogance of both sides. I have seen the blind dislike
of europeans of americans (they, the greeks, don=B9t like it when I call
myself an american), and I have seen the nationalistic element here.

The problem I have is that people don=B9t THINK. They just take what they ar=
spoon fed without questioning, challenging, or critically thinking (hmmm
small sense of deja vu here -- maybe I have said this before, anyway). Bot=
sides are guilty of this, but I find myself increasingly defending the US
when I talk to my friends, and what annoys the heck out of me when people
don=B9t present arguments, examples, references, they just make a statement
and that is supposed to mean something without backup facts.

This also happens when I defend the other point of view, when I defended
greece against claims of terrorism and that the greek government is not
taking suffient counter terrorism measures (this is before 9/11) --- and th=
country that criticized greece for terrorism...well we all feel the
aftereffects of 9/11. Where were the US's counterterrorism measures huh ?
Still people don=B9t reply back to me with a thoughtful, factful response, bu=
with stupid non thoughtful comments.

What we need are classes of public speaking and debating for ALL cause
otherwise Its frustrating!!!!!!!!!

Admiral

On 2/9/02 12:20, "aaron tester" at <desktop_at_lavalink.com.au> Wrote:

>=20
> perhaps this thread should have been called 'small minds'.
>=20
> it's so great how you guys completely missed the point of that site.
>=20
> it's so great how you guys prattled on about 'my country this' and 'my
> country that' as though the achievements of your fellow countrymen make u=
> for your lack of manners on this list.
>=20
> it's so great that there are 1200 or so other newton users on this list
> that had the dignity and self-restraint not to get involved with your
> little nationalist slap-fight.
>=20
> HERE'S to the silent majority!
>=20