Re: [NTLK] [OFF-Topic] Small World

From: Chris Searles (csearles_at_netcologne.de)
Date: Sat Feb 09 2002 - 06:39:21 EST

>I got the feeling from the website that if you are one of the fortunate you
>shouldn't take it for granted. I DID NOT get the feeling that they were
>saying the fortunate should be somehow looked down upon, or made to feel
>uncomfortable because of it.

I wasn't referring to the website but to the comments people made in
response to it. (Check the prior postings in the list.)

>Maybe because they weren't the most recent subject of a cowardly attack by
>terrorists - maybe because they aren't hosting the Olympics. Hell maybe
>just because.

Maybe because they wanted some control over the oil pipeline planned to
pass through their country, their piece of the cake so to speak.

>I do not view that flag as a political statement. It is an act of
>remembrance, meant to honor all those lost on 9/11. If you have a problem
>with that ... then you have a problem.

I don't have a problem with the American flag. I have a problem with
Americans acting as if they were the only ones who have ever suffered
casualties and losses in a war. And I have a problem with the Olympic
Committe saying Americans have a right to lead the parade of an
INTERNATIONAL Olympic event with their rememberance flag. If you stick to
that logic then all the other peoples and nations participating in the
games who have a similar event to remember should also be allowed to
march in front with their symbol. (I can't wait for the next Olympic
Games in Japan: In the forefront, a torn and singed flag from Hiroshima.
Or the next games in ...)

In other words, it's the historical precedent that bothers me. It
contradicts the original Olympic idea.

Chris Searles