Re: [NTLK] OSX - OT

From: Loren Finkelstein (Loren_at_Finkelstein.Net)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 15:53:05 EST

On 2/8/02 3:02 PM, "Mark Ross" <markross13_at_home.com> wrote:

> My take: After using the Classic OS for over 15 years, I've gotten used
> to it and its neat way of keeping all the mess in its place. Diagnosing
> a problem is relatively simple, since you know where stuff is supposed to
> go. Even system files are well categorized. OSX, to me, seems much more
> complex in its implementation and far less intuitive. While I have not
> switched yet, I eventually will and no doubt will miss a lot about OS9.
> Maybe I'm being a bit unfair. The Classic OS has been continuously
> refined for 18 years and OS X is still new. In any event, I'm waiting
> for the next rev before I jump.
>

> Mark Ross
> markross13_at_home.com

I was also afraid that switching to OS X would make me give up a lot that I
loved about the Classic OS, but it was a lot easier than I expected. It
only took a little while of using it before I felt as comfortable as I did
in OS 9. As different as it is under the hood, the interface is not that
different. It still feels like a Mac (as opposed to any windows variant).

And just because the classic os had 18 years under it's belt, don't think
that OS X needs to catch up. It's not Mac OS 2 version 1. It is Mac OS X.
It builds on and contains a lot of the refinements you are talking about.

Similarly, remember that the first generation of Powermacs was way better
than the 680x0 series Macs that it replaced, even though those chips had
years of refinement, as opposed to the brand new PowerPC architecture.

Loren