Re: [NTLK] Plotting Riccochet Revival article

From: Andrew Beals (bandy_at_cinnamon.com)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 17:07:50 EST

Thanks for the knil, ooW!

However:

> What about the "mobile professional?" They are supposed to be the only
> ones who really,
> truly need mobile Internet access?
> We're not marketing the product for
> mobile professionals. To do that, you have to be ubiquitous.
> The way we are going to position this
> product is that it's a cordless-phone equivalent of
> broadband access. You'll be able to move
> around your house; maybe you can go to certain
> areas of a city.

"Cordless-phone equivalent of broadband access"? Heck, I can get that with an
Aeronet box and a couple of cards. Foo! Not to mention the wireless folks
[two different companies?] that are offering 802.11b at "certain areas" for a
subscription fee. Those "certain areas" meaning Starbucks, some Hotels and
other places.

How are they going to compete with that? I used to take advantage of my
Ricochet down at my favorite friday "lunch" place - Hardy's in Sunnyvale, a
nice German restaurant. Drink beer, surf, access the office. What could be
better than that, having the barmaid address you as "Mein Herr" and asking you
if you'd like a piece of apfel strudel mit Kirshwasser instead of your boss
appearing behind your back asking "What the hell are you doing?"

Grumble grumble grumble. Those were the days.