Re: [NTLK] Glue on Newton screen ! (second posting)

From: Paul G. Grothaus (pgrothaus_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 20:53:00 EST

> Otherwise I'll report to the list how the screen handles acetone soon...

I can already tell you this: it doesn't! I was using my newt as a
calculator at the lab bench. One of the other chemists was rinsing her
glassware with acetone and acidentally sprayed some in my direction. A drop
hit my newt's screen. I blotted it off immediately with a paper towel but
there was a noticeable discoloration on the screen, similar to the spots one
gets from stylus wear without a screen protector. The performance of the
screen is not affected.

Now if the glue is only along the edge, careful application of acetone with
a Q-tip might remove it without badly fogging the screen. You might try
isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) or ethyl alcohol first. These will
likely be much poorer solvents for the glue but will not harm the screen if
not left in contact for a long time.

Aloha,

Paul
Paul G. Grothaus, Ph.D
Chemistry Group Leader
Hawaii Biotechnology Group, Inc.
99-193 Aiea Heights Drive, Suite 236
Aiea, HI 96701
Phone: (808)-486-5414 Fax: (808)-487-7341
pgrothaus_at_hibiotech.com