Re: [NTLK] MP 2100 & Internet w/o a Mac?

From: Jim Anderson (jiman_at_microsoft.com)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 16:51:34 EST

(the other) Jim wrote:
> At home, I have a LAN. I am connected to the 'net via a DSL=20
> connection. The connection is to a dual-ethernet-carded PC=20
> running Linux and doing all the firewall and NAT things. The=20
> card not connected to my wall jack is connected to a hub, off=20
> which is hanging a PowerBook G4. As a standalone device, I=20
> have an old LC III, which I can use to get software onto my=20
> recently-acquired MP 2100, including drivers for the ethernet=20
> card I just snagged off eBay for ten bucks and change.
>=20
> Is it possible, with an internet-software-loaded MP 2100, to=20
> do 'net things strictly as a DHCP client of the Linux box? I=20
> get a bad feeling that the answer is "No", because everything=20
> I've read about Newtons and Ethernets always seems to involve=20
> AppleTalk & a Mac at some point.

        Yep, yep, yeppity yep.

        I have pretty much the same setup at home as you do: Dual card
Linux box handling firewall and NAT connected to a hub for the other
computers in the house. I can slap an ethernet card into my Newt, plug
her into the hub, and be on my way. My Linux box doesn't serve up DHCP,
so everything is set up with static IP addresses, but there is a DHCP
option in the NIE internet setup tool, so I imagine you wouldn't have
any problems there.

Jim Anderson

Evil Overlord Rule 197:
I will explain to my Legions of Terror that guns are ranged weapons and
swords are not. Anyone who attempts to throw a sword at the hero or club
him with a gun will be summarily executed.