[NTLK] MP 2100 & Internet w/o a Mac?

From: Jim Hill (jimhill_at_swcp.com)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 16:41:47 EST

Maybe someone out there can answer this (and maybe I'll find the answer
to be plasing in my sight <grin>):

At home, I have a LAN. I am connected to the 'net via a DSL connection.
The connection is to a dual-ethernet-carded PC running Linux and doing
all the firewall and NAT things. The card not connected to my wall jack
is connected to a hub, off which is hanging a PowerBook G4. As a
standalone device, I have an old LC III, which I can use to get software
onto my recently-acquired MP 2100, including drivers for the ethernet
card I just snagged off eBay for ten bucks and change.

Is it possible, with an internet-software-loaded MP 2100, to do 'net
things strictly as a DHCP client of the Linux box? I get a bad feeling
that the answer is "No", because everything I've read about Newtons and
Ethernets always seems to involve AppleTalk & a Mac at some point.

Advice, solutions, and casual criticism is encouraged.

Jim

--
                         jimhill_at_swcp.com
        Visit www.marrow.org -- because there is no substitute.

On the film adaptation of "The Fellowship of the Rings": "In the end, the filmmakers have taken a very intellectual book and made a surprisingly intellectual movie. And they even managed to pump up the women's roles. Which is nice because Tolkien tended to describe and use female characters just a bit less than he'd describe and use a wagon wheel or an especially nice chair." -- The Self-Made Critic