[NTLK] Found an H1000

From: David Young (goathens_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 12:02:04 EST

I've found a messaagepad H1000 in a box at a garage
sale. I got it for 10$. It came with the messagepad
itself, an ac adapter, stylus, a slip-case, and a card
that says "newton getting started". It also came with
a battery compartment full of acid, which caused the
thing to not work (i believe that caused the cheap
price). I tried to power it up using the AC adapter,
it would display the start screen, but then nothing
happened. So I went online and found out how to
perform various resets- i had to go all the way to
cold boot, thus clearing all memory. Anyways, the
thing functions properly under AC power. unfortunately
the card, when inserted, is said to be "unreadable" by
the newton, which then tries to erase it. Also, the
handwriting recognition seems to be off by about 10
miles (i'm used to using palm). Also, shortly after
purchase, i noticed that somebody in my house had
removed the corroded battery pack and presumably
thrown it away.

I would like to know what a newton can do in this
state (can it function to the level of a palm or
handspring).
I would also know how to go about fixing the battery
problem, because i cannot make any arrangement of
batteries fit into the battery pit.
Also, what was on the getting started card? can it be
restored? if i erase it, can it become some sort of
removable storage device?
ANY help would be much appreciated, for i have had no
prior experience with macs and their inner-workings.