Re: [NTLK] A Blast from the Past (Somewhat OT)

From: Paul Nuernberger (pen1_at_spiff.net)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 09:19:12 EST

> From: bpearce_at_cloud9.net
>
>> Odd how more than 18 months later this still rings true for the most part.
>> Given the recent ('iWalk') furor one would think that anyone at Apple with a
>> modicum of intelligence would maybe get some small bit of the hint.
>
> Much as I'd like nothing better than to see a new Apple Handheld device (or
> something that more closely approximates the functionality of the MessagePad);
> let's be realistic: if Apple saw an opportunity to produce a handheld
> device to
> compete with the Palm OS and Windows CE devices, and make a profit doing so, I
> have no doubt they'd be in that market. That the company isn't is most
> likely not
> due to stupidity (or for the other standard-issue Steve-Jobs-hates-handhelds
> reasons that people are quick to assume), but to good business sense.

Well, given that the Newton isn't competing with Palm ... As the article
states, and many have pointed out - the Newton is a fully functional mobile
(hand-held) computer and not a simple organizer with some cool gee-whiz toy
capability. I own at least one of every Newton ever made - still use most
of them for one thing or another. I also own a Palm 3 and a Palm 7x - I
can't remember the last time I turned either one on.

The recent activity among lots of groups regarding the 'possibility' of
Apple producing a hand-held again should denote a strong interest to even
those not terribly inclined to "good business sense"

> Apple is much better off than it was in the late 1990s; maintining
> profitability (even
> in these difficult times), producing innovative products, and slowly
> expanding into
> different product lines. But there's virtually no room to compete in the
> handheld
> market right now; even the market leader is in the midst of hard times,
> due to a
> poor choices. (Spinning off the software subsidiary, pre-announcing products
> months in advance that kicked the feet out from under sales of products of the
> shelves; a lack of any real product innovation.)

Yeah, sure. According to what was written at the time, the Newton was killed
at just the time that it would have become an income source - sales were
actually on the increase. As to innovation ... I'll take that statement as
your opinion. There has been little in the way of 'ground-breaking', or
'breath-taking' in recent history. Cool products, yes; but mostly just
repackaging and speed improvements.

Because Palm has screwed themselves into the ground with bad decisions & no
innovation seems like an extremely good argument for a time to return to the
market - easier to move on your competition when they are down, just ask M$.

> Let's be realistic: apart from purchasing a company with an existing
> product and
> strong market share (which Apple has explored), what would be the point?

Hmmm ... lets see. 1.) Your competition is down and hurting; 2.) You still
have the hottest technology which no one else has come even close to
matching; 3.) The HUGE amount of "Is it a Handheld finally?" interest from
even those who don't ordinarily buy Apple products and, as a bonus; 4.) The
chance to thumb your nose at, further confuse, and prove wrong those
oh-so-sensible 'pundits' who have been proclaiming Apple to be dead for most
of the past decade.

Gee, sound like fun to me. Bottom line is this - there is a great number of
people who can get by with a powerful 'organizer' (i.e. Palm device), but
there is also a significant need for a more powerful "mobile hand-held"
(i.e. some new (Newton-esque ?) device).

We are rapidly approaching the 4th anniversary of the Newton's cancellation.
To date there is still NOTHING that comes close. The ever-present demand
for used Newtons (even during the present glut) should be somewhat of an
indicator that what is 'new' isn't getting the job done. Even given today's
current prices you can still get a modern palm setup for less than a used
MP2k setup. Why then are so many people willing to spend more on
(so-called) orphaned and dead technology ??? I would submit because there
is a NEED for it.

If Apple wants to prove to the world that it is truly innovative, then a
full-blown replacement for the Newton would be an excellent place to start -
instead of a 'way beyond the rumor sites' lame LCD iMac (yes, it is cool but
it has been expected for over a year - hardly "way beyond" !).

Just my opinion(s). YMMV and also YOMV.

Paul Nuernberger