Re: [NTLK] A Blast from the Past (Somewhat OT)

From: bpearce_at_cloud9.net
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 08:30:11 EST

>Odd how more than 18 months later this still rings true for the most part.
>Given the recent ('iWalk') furor one would think that anyone at Apple with a
>modicum of intelligence would maybe get some small bit of the hint.

Much as I'd like nothing better than to see a new Apple Handheld device (or
something that more closely approximates the functionality of the MessagePad);
let's be realistic: if Apple saw an opportunity to produce a handheld
device to
compete with the Palm OS and Windows CE devices, and make a profit doing so, I
have no doubt they'd be in that market. That the company isn't is most
likely not
due to stupidity (or for the other standard-issue Steve-Jobs-hates-handhelds
reasons that people are quick to assume), but to good business sense.

Apple is much better off than it was in the late 1990s; maintining
profitability (even
in these difficult times), producing innovative products, and slowly
expanding into
different product lines. But there's virtually no room to compete in the
handheld
market right now; even the market leader is in the midst of hard times,
due to a
poor choices. (Spinning off the software subsidiary, pre-announcing products
months in advance that kicked the feet out from under sales of products of the
shelves; a lack of any real product innovation.)

Let's be realistic: apart from purchasing a company with an existing
product and
strong market share (which Apple has explored), what would be the point?

BRIAN/bpearce_at_cloud9.net