Re: [NTLK] 802.11b Card help

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Sat Dec 28 2002 - 03:26:59 EST

À (At) 2:03 -0600 28/12/02, Jeff Kuo écrivait (wrote) :
>I have just installed NIE 2.0 and 802.11b software on my newton... but
>everytime when I plug in the 802.11b card, i get an error message that
>it can not be used and some error number...

I guess you have a 2.1 Newton device (MP2x00 or eMate 300).
If you give us the numbers, we might be able to provide further help.

First check is what you mean by NIE 2.0.
The minimum set of packages you need is:

- Newton Devices (called something like newtdev.pkg on UNNA)
- Hiroshi's Driver

(these two will make the Newton recognize your card and let you use
it for AppleTalk)

You'll need:
- Newton Internet Enabler
- NIE Ethernet Module
if you want TCP/IP as well

and
- Internet Setup
to configure your Internet access (you can freeze it or delete it
once you configured your access and everything works).
You don't need Internet ISP Templates.

Finally, you might want to get
NIE Patch v4 (from my website: http://www.kallisys.com/newton/rustines/)
(this is just for once you can connect to the internet)

But I suppose that you have all that and what probably happens is
that your card isn't recognized by Hiroshi's driver. Have you checked
on his website? If it's based on the same chipset than one of the
cards he supports, you might be able to send him some configuration
string so he'll be able to modify the driver to support your card.

Normally, the card slip pops out (with just "Newton Devices" and
Hiroshi's Driver).

Paul

--
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/