Re: [NTLK] Useless(?) update function

From: Phil Denton (nanjad_at_ozemail.com.au)
Date: Fri Dec 27 2002 - 08:37:15 EST

On Friday, December 27, 2002, at 09:44 PM, Jon Glass wrote:.

> Yes, but if you could hack the OS so that you could choose your own
> phone
> number, and then somebody write a quickie app on Windows/Mac that could
> answer the phone and install a package, then it would be useful... :-)

Good thread. Not so useless after all?

Why do you suggest hacking the OS? My Newt doesnt need hacking to dial
out a preferred number.

I just put a card modem in my Newt , went to in/out and pressed the
update icon in the receive menu. A chooser slip came up asking me:

  "Enter the number of a provider of Newton updates"

with an entry point for the number. I entered the dialup number of my
local ISP, pressed the "call" button and the modem dialled out and
connected. Of course there was no authentication process but if it were
possible to write some suitable app/s for the other end as you suggest
it would be another win for the Newt., and especially for newbies who
might be able to borrow a modem and get their required connectivity
packages.

My Newton does have connectivity apps loaded so I dont know if this
would work without them but someone could confirm this function works
on a Newt with the minimum configuration.

Phil Denton

P.S. Jon.. the modem was a Psion Dacom Gold etc...

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html